3 Things to Inspect on the Inside of a House
When it comes to the inspection of the interior of a house, the smallest details can be a turn-off to buyers. Although it is common to deal with occasional wasp nests and errant ants, the presence of whole nests in a backyard can make a potential buyer turn away.
Proper ventilation helps keep the air inside a house clean and fresh. It regulates humidity and airborne contaminants that can cause health issues. In Canada, about 90 percent of the population spends time indoors. Indoor air can accumulate high levels of pollutants such as moisture and odors from cooking if it is not properly ventilated. There are many options to improve ventilation in a home.
Proper ventilation introduces fresh air evenly, mixes it with the air inside the house, and circulates it throughout the house. This is necessary to prevent moisture from condensing on walls. As the temperature rises, the volume of the air expands and is able hold more moisture. A 20-degree increase in temperature doubles the moisture-holding capacity of air. Proper ventilation can also help remove moisture that can build up in cold temperatures.
Lead-based paint inside a house can pose a danger. Lead paint is toxic and should only be removed by licensed contractors. Repainting is also a solution. This process comes with several risks. Lead paint that is removed can return to the same location if the surface is damaged or deteriorated.
Lead paint is hard to detect visually, so it’s best to conduct a thorough inspection. Homes built before 1978 are more susceptible to lead-based paint. This means that those renting or buying a house built before 1978 need to be cautious. There are laws to protect people renting or buying an old house. The law gives homebuyers and renters ten days to conduct an inspection.
Cracked foundations are more than cosmetic problems. Cracks in a foundation can be repaired easily in some cases. In some cases, cracks in a foundation can be cosmetic and can be easily repaired.
Cracked foundations may also be caused by extremely dry or wet earth, earthquakes, and extreme temperature changes. However, the most common cause of foundation problems is flooding, and homeowners who have recently suffered flooding should be cautious.
There are many possible causes for a blown light bulb inside your home. First, consider the light bulb’s quality. Many light bulbs sold in the United States are made from thinner materials and are easily prone to breaking. Investing in higher-quality bulbs is more expensive, but they will last longer.
If you aren’t sure what is causing the problem call a professional electrician. A qualified electrician can inspect your lighting circuits and identify any defective bulbs or accessories.
You should have your house inspected by professionals if you suspect that water damage may already be occurring. The most common areas where water damage occurs are the garage, kitchen, bathrooms, laundry area, and laundry room. Cracked or wet floors, and warped walls are signs of water damage. Unrepaired water damage can lead to costly repairs.
Water damage is not always visible until it’s too late. It can cause damage to subflooring and carpets, as well as damage to pad and carpet. It can also rot wood which can lead to expensive problems.
A home inspector will inspect your fireplace as one of three items. The inspector will inspect the chimney and firebox for cracks, gaps and buildups. They will also check the damper. The damper can become loose and could cause a chimney fire. The inspector will also check for cracks and debris in the flue and chimney cap.
Before you use the fireplace, a chimney inspection is a must. While most homeowners assume that their chimneys are in good condition, these inspections are crucial to prevent a chimney fire from happening. Between 2010 and 2012, chimney fires caused nearly 22,700 home fires. Having your chimney inspected by a professional will prevent a fire and protect your home from dangerous smoke and odors.